[FREE] stratfor (fwd)

James B. DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Sun Sep 30 13:11:21 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> The Washington Times ran a stratfor.com article (as a news article, like
> the paper would run Reuters or AP) yesterday. I haven't visited their
> website, but what I read yesterday is quite interesting.
>
> -Declan

What I find interesting is how we can have a war without a Congressional
    declaration, which out of practical if not legal necessity requires
something at least approximating a foreign power as the enemy. It would
be extremely helpful if there were some overt state action or at least a
smoking gun to publicly identify such party.

Bin Laden and crew are not a foreign power, unless we are stupid enough
to turn them into one, a  hostile one. Sheer folly when their precise
complicity and the extent of their involvement in the attacks has yet to
  be demostrated outside of their self-promotion and our desire to find
the guilty parties. Who, I don't believe, give a shit about the Islam
rampant bs. except as expedient, and as much as about selecting the toll
collectors for the pipelines to be built through places like Afghanistan
to China, the former Soviet Republics, etc.

I don't rule out a war. There are grounds for it. That'll be folly, too,
though, if we pick the wrong enemy, or support the wrong side again. Not
speaking of Bin Laden now. Or cut another deal with a devil who'll bite
us in the ass again a few years down the road. If not sooner. If we have
to have Americans dying in remote, already blown-up, mine-laden poppy
fields etc. as postulated, kindly let's not do it out of crass political
expediency. Again. Nothing wrong with revenge for 5000+ dead, either,
but don't let's get more killed going after the wrong motherfuckers, or
trying to buy the right ones off.

There, is that cryptic enough?

jbdigriz