[FREE] stratfor (fwd)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 30 15:30:54 PDT 2001

on Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 04:11:21PM -0400, James B. DiGriz (jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org) wrote:
> Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> > The Washington Times ran a stratfor.com article (as a news article, like
> > the paper would run Reuters or AP) yesterday. I haven't visited their
> > website, but what I read yesterday is quite interesting.
> >
> > -Declan
>
> What I find interesting is how we can have a war without a
> Congressional declaration, which out of practical if not legal
> necessity requires something at least approximating a foreign power as
> the enemy. It would be extremely helpful if there were some overt
> state action or at least a smoking gun to publicly identify such
> party.

As the US President is CinC of the US armed forces, he may deploy these
forces as he sees fit.  However, Congress holds the purse strings, and
the impeachment vote.  My understanding is that the War Powers Act,
passed in the wake of the SouthEast Asia Disagreement of 1965-1975,
limits such deployments to 30 or 90 days.

I have to admit being somewhat confused myself over just what
distinctions there are between a formal declaration, and a vote of
support such as we saw following the 9/11 attacks.  I believe a formal
declaration would entail far more Presidential support and powers,
resources for the military, including likely more sweeping restrictions
on civil liberties.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org