Defeatist Compromising Commentary From Reason Magazine

Nick Gillespie gillespie at reason.com
Thu Sep 27 09:57:57 PDT 2001

All,

I appreciate your response to Cathy Young's recent column that was
originally written for the Boston Globe and posted recently to reason.com.
As I've noted to the Politech list, Young is a highly valued and often
controversial contributor to REASON, both in print and on line, and I'm
happy to post her writings even when I disagree with her on a specific
issue, including encryption and whether the threat of terrorism should
shrink civil liberties.
As you may know, I and other members of the REASON writing community
consistently and adamantly argue in favor of unfettered encryption, freedom
from government oversight, and maximum civil, personal, and economic
liberties in all spheres of human activity. For the unconvinced, I
recommend a wider walk through our site and our print magazine (including
our December issue, which features Declan McCullagh's contribution--among
others--to a symposium about which civil liberties are most at risk in the
government's new total war against terrorism).

Yours,

Nick

Nick Gillespie
Editor-in-Chief