Reason's C. Young: Encryption is "scary," put up withsurveillance

F. Marc de Piolenc piolenc at mozcom.com
Wed Sep 26 21:09:30 PDT 2001

Dear Ms. Young,

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> http://www.reason.com/cy/cy092401.html
>
>     September 24, 2001
>     Civil liberties may take a hit
>     By Cathy Young

>     It is said that there are no atheists in foxholes; perhaps there are
>     no true libertarians in times of terrorist attacks.

Please speak for yourself. As a student and friend of liberty, I am a
libertarian ESPECIALLY in times of stress, when the befogged and weak
are tempted to surrender their freedom.

>     Even in the Declaration of Independence, the right to liberty is
>     preceded by the right to life.

The two are not separable - the latter is in fact a corollary of the
former - so the order in which they are stated is irrelevant. Human
life, as opposed to the organic existence of cattle in a feedlot,
implies liberty.

Best,
Marc de Piolenc