'Cyberangels' to sponsor anti-OBL-hacking ad

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Sep 27 08:40:48 PDT 2001

A TV Plea for Patriot Hackers
            By Brian McWilliams

2:00 a.m. Sep. 26, 2001 PDT

A new TV public service announcement targets U.S. computer hacktivists with
a blunt
message: Uncle Sam wants you to help fight the war on terrorism.

But the spot, which organizers hope to begin airing nationwide next week on
major networks,
will warn that misguided patriotic efforts from software experts can hurt
the cause.

[...]

The first of its kind to address the issue of hacking, the "Hackers Against
Terrorism"
spot will attempt to channel U.S. computer security gurus into productive
rather than
destructive action, said Parry Aftab, executive director of Cyberangels, an
Internet
safety and help organization that is sponsoring the ads.

"The hacker community is very important in the fight against terrorism. But
we want to get the
message out that if they want to get busy doing good stuff, they should come
to us and not
try to take action on their own," said Aftab.
[...]
--------------------------------

A couple points:

1. Is this really the first anti-hacking PSA? I don't think so - I
definitely remember anti
piracy PSAs from the BSA. Have there been others?

2. 'Cyberangels' is (I think) the same group which a few years ago tried to
claim
to be leaders in the fight against online child porn. As desirable as
protecting
actual children may be, the group seemed astonishingly ignorant of the
online
world - one spokesman claiming that *.gif and *.jpg file extensions were
codes
which indicates hetero and homo kp respectively. I hope they've cleaned up
their
act since then. [I will note that their site SSL certificate for reporting
online kp
fails checking, since it's issued to 'stores.mindspring.com, not
www.cyberangels.com]