When the FBI Guys Come Knocking...

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Wed Sep 26 22:11:22 PDT 2001

David Honig wrote:

> At 09:51 AM 9/26/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>
> >The point being, dogs are usually either so vicious they are chained  or
> >locked-up, or are docile enough to just wag their tails when the nice
> >men in the FBI suits approach.

    I've been training dogs for at least 35 years (not counting when I was a kid)
and it's pretty easy to have a dog that is both a good house pet, wonderful with
kids, and totally alert, totally on guard at all times. Depends what you start
with. I suggest Airedales as being willing to fight bears and lions (they are
used for that regualarly) and also being great family dogs, albeit needing a
_very_ firm hand and _lots_ of exercise. Best have two, then they wear each other
out, and provide twice as much security. Pair them with a mellow dog like a Lab
and they will drive it crazy.

> My cat agrees that dogs are in general useless noisy and annoying but
> consider how useful they are in secure installations (jails, mil bases,
> gulags, etc.)

      My cats ( all 5) love dogs. My dogs love cats.

> For physical security and alarms, dogs are pretty good.

     They never really sleep, and don't quit when the power goes out.

> >Anyway, my cats would probably not like a dog around.

      Mine love my dogs - some (actually most) of my cats are feral cats who
first made friends with my dogs, then slowly allowed me to approach.

> Nor would I.

    What can I say? Except I can't imagine life without a dog. Or two, or
preferably 5 or so.

> (Dogs
> >are fine, but they take a lot of care and they interfere with trips away
> >from home.)

      hmm. well, why don't they go along? or why not cultivate a trusted someone
who can feed the dogs?

> Dogs are drunk football players.

     Hardly.

> Cats are considered *public good* and allowed to roam freely,

     Hardly. Here, you get a $300 fine for feeding outside cats, $165 for
allowing a cat to roam.

> Cats also reduce the incidence of allergies (by altering
> immunoglobin levels differently from other antigens like mites) among children
> living with them (as reported in _Science_).  And of course they have
> hackernature.

     Well, that's the first thing you've said in this vein I agree with.
Cats (and dogs) know one fuck of a lot more about you then you know about them.
Speak kindly to them. We keep a bin feeder on the porch for cats, just like we
keep a bird feeder in the back yard. Don't betray them.
    Oh, and btw -- cats can also be great watchcats. I have a cat who absolutely
freaks when strangers come -- hides away where I can't even find him. If I come
home and he's in hiding, then I know.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix