Microsoft the new Smith & Wesson?

Xeni Jardin xeni at xeni.net
Wed Sep 26 21:31:48 PDT 2001

> I can't belive that some hungry lawyer hasn't filed a case
> accusing Microsoft, though their Flight Simulator software, of
> aiding and abetting the terrorists.  Is it true they pulled
> their latest version which could fly into skyscrapers?  Might
> become a ghastly collector's item.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010917/tc/attacks_microsoft_2.html

Monday September 17 7:43 PM ET
Microsoft Delays Flying Game Launch

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) - Microsoft Corp. plans to delay the launch of a new
version of Flight Simulator, its popular computer game that allows players
to fly airplanes over New York City and other metropolitan areas, because
of last week's terrorist attacks.

``It's just an inappropriate time to release the product,'' Microsoft
spokesman Matt Pilla said Monday from the company's Redmond headquarters.

No new launch date has been set for Flight Simulator 2002, which was
originally due out in October.

In existing versions of Flight Simulator, players can pilot aircraft
ranging from gliders to jetliners over much of the world, with detailed
scenery of airports and cities, including New York and the World Trade
Center towers. Should an aircraft strike a building or other structure,
the program shows the plane has crashed, but the buildings do not blow up.

Microsoft announced Friday it would remove depictions of the World Trade
Center's twin towers from the new version.

The company also will put out a software patch that allows people to
remove the towers from existing versions of the game (...)