Smallpox?

Dr. Evil drevil at sidereal.kz
Wed Sep 26 13:04:36 PDT 2001

> Sounds like a market opportunity for some enterprising Cypherpunk.
> So Doctor, where do I get cowpox?

>From cows, of course!  Edward Jenner, in the late 1700s, noticed that
milkmaids tended to have resistance to smallpox, so he took some
cowpox pus from a milkmaid named Sarah Nelmes, and injected it into a
boy, who then became immune to smallpox.  You would have to do some
research into cowpox to see what is the best way to do this, and where
you might find infected cattle.  Modern cattle raising is probably a
lot more disease-free than it used to be, but maybe you could find
samples in less developed countries.  I would imagine you could buy
some cowpox cultures from various bio research supply companies, but
that would probably attract a lot of attention these days.

Even earlier, Chinese doctors found that they could achieve resistance
by snorting dried pus from smallpox victims.  Drying it must have been
enough to inactivate the virus.

There is so much literature (going back hundreds of years) on smallpox
that it should be pretty easy to come up with a safe, reliable
recipe.  The problem now is that you will attract a _lot_ of attention
trying to buy the ingredients, so you may need to be sneaky about it.
Even buying plain old lab glassware requires a permit these days
(thank you War on Drugs!).

It does sound like a good biz opportunity, but you would have to do it
all in a country without liability laws or an FDA.  It might be hard
to find a qualified biologist willing to do the work, and it would be
hard to find a host country for this, because they would be accused of
sponsoring biowarfare research.