When the FBI Guys Come Knocking...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 26 15:34:46 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, September 26, 2001, at 02:48 PM, Bill Stewart wrote:

> At 04:43 PM 09/26/2001 -0400, Trei, Peter wrote:
>> > Nomen Nescio[SMTP:nobody at dizum.com]
>> >

>> >   Tim's idea of a closed circuit TV is the best approach, and
>> something
>> > I've
>> > been thinking of for a long time. By far the best way to interact
>> with
>> Thats cute, but depending on jurisdiction, you may have to inform
>> he/she/it
>> if they are being recorded, or open yourself up for a wiretapping
>> charge.
>

> Only if you're recording - the cheap X10 cameras work just fine
> with the back end plugged into a monitor rather than a recorder.

Yeah, how "recording" got into the picture is beyond me. The idea is to
have several of the wireless cameras at various places, to monitor.
Recording is not needed, except maybe for the trial or inquest.

In any case, there are various exemptions for videotaping:

1) People videotape others ALL THE TIME. Look at folks with camcorders.
Are they getting releases from all those in the background of their
shots at Disneyland?

2) Stores, gas stations, ATMs, all videotape. Sometimes they have a
little notice at the front of the store, sometimes not.

3) I believe, but don't quote me, that image recording without _audio_
recording is exempt from the wiretap laws, anyway. (This came up during
one of those "peeping tom cam" cases, where it was pointed out that no
particular statute forbids such taping., (Specific laws since passed, of
course.)

--Tim May