Smallpox?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Sep 26 14:00:42 PDT 2001

At 02:53 PM 09/26/2001 +0800, F. Marc de Piolenc wrote:
>Smallpox is officially "eradicated," per the UN. Not only are you not
>forced to get vaccinated - the vaccine is no longer available. This
>would be okay if there were no more reservoirs of the disease, but in
>fact the virus is preserved at several locations, and could be released
>either by accident or by design.

There are two large terrorist organizations that have smallpox supplies -
the US* and Russian military biological warfare groups -
and there are occasional rumors that other terrorists may also have them.
Each of the big terrorist groups claims that they need to keep the stuff
so that they can prepare vaccines in case the other side uses their stash
for CBW,
and that they can't do a mutual disarmament because they can't trust each other
not to keep some hidden stash - plus the possibility that some other
terrorist group may have some, or that there may be some in the wild
that could reappear some day and we'd then be defenseless.

This is especially bogus for smallpox, because (as Jenner discovered),
cowpox is usable as a vaccine against smallpox, so keeping that
should be good enough, though the smallpox-based vaccines are more convenient.
There's a certain amount of counter-argument that says that the
other terrorists might have done some genetic engineering to create
a mutant smallpox that isn't bothered by cowpox immunity,
and therefore they need to keep the Genuine Bad Stuff around.

[*Technically the US probably uses the Center for Disease Control
to run the repository, but it's the basically the military's control here.]