Get Real

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 26 11:23:30 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, September 26, 2001, at 10:58 AM, Steve Furlong wrote:

> mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:
>>
>> This discussion about talking to the FBI has me ROTFLMAO. I feel like
>> I'm watching a John Wayne movie with its simplified moral categories of
>> good and evil. Why not say that cooperation is dependent upon the
>> situation? Exercise your judgement.
>
> Exactly. I was rolling my eyes rather than my ass <g>, but it works out
> the same.
>
> The first two examples that came to my mind were kidnaping and security
> clearance background checks. While one may debate whether kidnaping
> should be a federal crime, it _is_, and it's the Feebs' job to
> investigate it. Similarly with background checks for clearances.
> Perfectly valid reasons to talk to the Feebs.

Only if you know your coworker or neighbor is a spy.

I've refused to answer questions about neighbors when they were being
checked out by the FBI. I told the agents, this was in the mid-80s, that
I had no interest in speculating to them about a person I knew only in
passing.

I expect a lot of background checks get idle speculation from bluehairs
and busybodies.

--Tim May