When the FBI Guys Come Knocking...

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Sep 26 06:52:50 PDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:

> Actually, in that case, could they not get the landlord to unlock the
> apartment door for them, if "permission to enter" is granted in your
> lease? What are the warrant requirements for this?

Right to enter is restricted to the landlord or reprsentatives under
particular circumstances.  Emergency personnel (firemen) can also enter.
Peace officers can enter in "hot pursuit" situations.

In the case of peace officer questioning, you can just ask them to leave.
No need to hide.

> Several years ago, I would probably point out that such actions would be
> likely to cause you more difficulty if and when you have to interact with
> the feds. Knowing what I do now about such things, however, I'd fairly
> certain there's little to lose.

The main reason not to invite peace officers in is because of the risk
they might see something which would give rise to probable cause for a
search.

The reason for not talking to them is that most people don't know
what the legal implications of their words are.  That's what lawyers are
for.

You don't have to talk to them outside your house either or after arrest
or any time.

DCF
----
"Nuke 'em till they glow then shoot 'em in the dark." -- Courtesy of the
National Commission for the Preservation of Right Wing Slogans.