Call for Presentations: CodeCon 2002

Bram Cohen bram at gawth.com
Tue Sep 25 21:44:34 PDT 2001

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: CODECON 2002
http://www.codecon.org/

Please forward wherever applicable.

CodeCon 2002, scheduled for February 15, 16, and 17 in San Francisco,
California, is the premier event in 2002 for the P2P, cypherpunk, and
network/security application developer community. It is a workshop for
developers of real-world applications that support individual liberties.

During the first two days, our policy is "bring your own code"; while
those not demonstrating software are welcome to attend, the focus is
primarily on developer discussion. The final day of the workshop is
intended to be more inclusive, consisting of public and press
demonstrations, interviews, panels and a public session allowing a larger
number of presenters to demonstrate their projects in a more informal
setting. All presentations must be accompanied by functional applications,
ideally open source. Presenters must be one of the active developers of
the code in question.

CodeCon strongly encourages presenters from non-commercial and academic
backgrounds to attend for the purposes of collaboration and the sharing of
knowledge by providing free registration to workshop presenters and
highly-discounted registration to full-time students. Public session
presenters and approved members of the press will receive free
registration for the public session on Sunday.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submissions open:                               1 October 2001
Final submission deadline:                      1 January 2002
Final notification of acceptance:              15 January 2002
Conference begins:                            15 February 2002
Public session and public demonstrations:     17 February 2002
Post-conference web-based proceedings:           15 March 2002

SUGGESTED TOPICS

The focus of CodeCon is on running applications which:

*  use one or more of: cryptography, steganography, distributed
   network architectures, peer to peer communications, anonymity
   or pseudonymity

*  enhance individual power and liberty

*  can be discussed freely, either by virtue of being open source or
   having a published protocol, and preferably free of intellectual
   property restrictions

*  are generally useful, either directly to a large number of users, or
   as an example of technology applicable to a larger audience

Examples of excellent presentations include Mixmaster remailers and
extensions, OpenNap, Swarmcast, Mojo Nation, Magic Money, and OpenPGP
applications. Novelty in technical approaches, security assumptions, and
end-user functionality are excellent properties.

Presentations about basic technologies, such as a new cipher or hash,
non-interesting vulnerabilities in existing applications, or discussions
of unimplemented protocols are better suited for other conferences. The
guidelines for the CodeCon public session on Sunday are less stringent
than the main workshop; presentations which are more tangential to
CodeCon's focus may be accepted.

FORMAT OF PRESENTATIONS (main workshop)

Paper and Q&A
-------------
For those most comfortable with a traditional conference format, we will
accept papers up to 25 pages. We encourage HTML or plain ASCII
submissions, but can accept PostScript, PDF, or LaTeX. We will distribute
papers in advance of the conference, and will provide 30 or 60 minutes for
discussion and Q&A, at the presenter's discretion. In exceptional cases,
we will accept anonymous papers and conduct either a non-directed
discussion or a Q&A session directed by proxy. All papers should be
accompanied by source code or an application. When possible, we would
prefer that the application be available for interactive use during the
workshop, either on a presenter-provided demonstration machine or one of
the conference kiosks. Additionally, during the paper presentation, some
use of this demo must be made; it may be relatively brief, but a
demonstration of the running application is essential.

Interactive demo
----------------
In addition to the traditional conference paper format, we encourage
highly interactive presentations. Throughout the event, we will have
several kiosks and local servers available for demonstration purposes. We
also strongly encourage presenters to bring their own hardware.
Application demos can be up to 20 minutes, followed by a period of up to
40 minutes for Q&A, which can include demonstration of additional features
of the application not covered in the main presentation. If desired by the
presenter, we can distribute URLs of applications several days before the
workshop to allow attendees to familiarize themselves with the basics of
applications prior to the workshop sessions.

Panel
-----
In areas where multiple projects fall roughly in the same domain, the most
efficient presentation may be a panel with one or more developers from
each team. These developers may then individually demonstrate their
applications, followed by discussion among the panel and Q&A with the
other attendees as to differences in design goals, implementation, and
other aspects of the systems. If we receive multiple submissions from
related projects for papers or demos, we may suggest to the presenters
that they combine into a panel. Additionally, presenters are free to
submit jointly as a pre-selected panel.

There is some flexibility in requirements and formats for presentations;
please enquire if you would like to use an alternate form.

FORMAT OF PRESENTATIONS (public session)

On the afternoon of Sunday 17 February, we will set aside a substantial
amount of time for 5 minute-or-less project public session presentations.
Other events on this day, including panels and main presentations, will be
targeted at members of the press and public, so brief presentations on
Sunday will reach a wide audience. Presenters from the first two days who
wish to make an additional public session presentation may do so.

SUBMISSION DETAILS

Presentations must be performed by one of the active developers on the
project. That's the rule -- no code, no mike. Multiple people may be
involved in a presentation. You do get in free if you're part of a
presentation even if you don't speak during it, so creativity (within
reason) is encouraged.

The workshop language is English, for both presentations and papers.

Ideally, demonstrations should be usable by attendees with 802.11b
connected devices either via a web interface, or locally on Windows,
UNIX-like, or MacOS platforms. Cross-platform applications are most
desirable.

Our venue may be 21+. If you are submitting and are under 21, please
advise the program committee; we may consider alternate venues for one or
more days of the event. If you have a specific day on which you would
prefer to present, please advise us.

Main workshop submissions should include in the plain-text body of email
to submissions at codecon.org the following information:

                 - Name of presenter
                 - Name of others involved in project attending conference
                 - Title of presentation
                 - Brief summary of topic
                 - URL or attachment of example code
                   (must be received by the final submission deadline)
                 - Brief project history
                 - Brief summary of demo, or abstract of paper
                 - Any other details considered relevant

Public session submissions should include in the plain-text body of email
to submissions at codecon.org the following information:

                   - Name of presenter
                   - Title of presentation
                   - Brief summary of topic
                   - URL or attachment with example code
                   - Any other details

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

                       Bram Cohen, BitTorrent
                       Dan Egnor, ofb.net
                       Jered Floyd, Permabit
                       Ian Grigg, Systemics
                       Ryan Lackey, HavenCo
                       Don Marti, LinuxJournal
                       Guido Sanchez, New Hack City
                       Bill Stewart, AT&T
                       Brandon Wiley, Freenet
                       Jamie Zawinski, DNA Lounge

COSTS

Recognizing that many of the developers of the most interesting cypherpunk
applications are unable to afford accommodations and other expenses in San
Francisco, CodeCon will attempt to locate housing and otherwise assist
with issues for presenters on a case-by-case basis. Please contact
codecon-admin at codecon.org if your submission is accepted but you require
assistance to attend.

SPONSORSHIP

If your organization is interested in sponsoring CodeCon, we would love to
hear from you. In particular, we are looking for sponsors for social meals
and parties on any of the three days of the conference, as well as
sponsors of the conference as a whole, prizes or awards for quality
presentations, and assistance with transportation or accommodation for
presenters with limited resources. If you might be interested in
sponsoring any of these aspects, please contact the conference organizers
at codecon-admin at codecon.org.

QUESTIONS

If you have questions about CodeCon, or would like to contact the
organizers, please mail codecon-admin at codecon.org. Please note this
address is only for questions and administrative requests, and not for
workshop presentation submissions.