ANWR

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Sep 25 19:44:28 PDT 2001

David Honig wrote:

> At 09:48 AM 9/25/01 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
> >David Honig wrote:
> >

> >> The market is fair: just let the price of gas
> >> be established by a free market.  Then everyone
> >> can decide whether they want a 1000 lb, 300 hp
> >> car or a 3000 lb, 100 hp car, or something
> >> in between.
> >
> >       Exactly -- if we get rid of all the gov't subsidies for
> >oil, we find that gas is about $10 @ gallon here and now. And that
>
> What subsidies?  They tax the hell out of it (e.g., petrol here in the
> US, even worse in UK).
>
> If you're counting US military involvement overseas, well, we can
> do without that and pay more (temporarily, until supply increases)
> for the oil we replace that oil with.  If you think the US subsidizes
> oil companies, you need to look at how much taxes they pay.

       Take a look at these sites -- I think the evidence is
fairly clear
that there are a lot of subsidies to big oil. The military
is only one,
although it's huge. You could easily make a case that all
the expenses
related to WTC are subsidies for the oil industry. But
besides that:

http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/rlprexsm.htm

also:

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/10-9-95/oilsubsidy.html
http://www.greenpeace.org/majordomo/index-press-releases/1998/msg00183.html

   (yeah, you probably won't like that source, but read it anyway)

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
hseaver at cybershamanix.com