another National ID card fuckwit

citizenQ citizenQ at ziplip.com
Tue Sep 25 00:56:18 PDT 2001

Sept. 22, 2001, 6:54PM

Idea of national identification card worth another look
By DAGOBERT L. BRITO

There have been several suggestions by responsible parties in the past few days that the United States adopt a national identification card program. The idea of a national identification card is one that most Americans find distasteful. An internal passport carries with it connotations of Adolf Hitler's Germany and Big Brother. However, the time has come to reevaluate the costs and benefits of such a card. Recent developments require more security precautions, and a national identification card is one of the less intrusive ways of providing such protection.

First, for most Americans a national identification card would not involve any real loss of freedom or privacy. We already hold driver's licenses and use credit cards through which our travel and economic activities can easily be traced. As has been demonstrated many times in recent political investigations, authorities can obtain access to records of most of our transactions and even our phone calls. Therefore, for most middle-class Americans, a national identification card involves no significant restrictions on our freedoms. For those Americans who do not have access to credit cards and driver's licenses, a national identification card that can be used for identification may be a real asset.

A smart photo identification card can be issued to every American citizen and resident over 18 years of age. The card would be universal, and no particular group would be singled out to bear a special burden. Every foreign national issued a visa to enter the United States could also be issued an identification card. This card could be coded with the expiration date of the visa and other such information.

U.S. citizens and residents would be required to show this card to obtain employment and licences, to rent a car, check into hotels, use credit cards or ATM machines and cash checks. These are all activities that Congress can regulate under the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution. The activities of foreign nationals in the United State on a visa can probably be monitored more closely without violating their rights. For example, it should be possible to monitor individuals undergoing flight training or studying nuclear engineering.

This would serve several purposes. First, there are a large number of individuals who are in this country illegally because they have overstayed their visas or else have entered illegally. The issuing of national identification cards would be a way of finding such individuals. A few days ago, before Sept. 11, one could seriously make the argument that "undocumented" workers made a large contribution to the U.S. economy and it was not necessary to be strict in enforcing the laws. It is still true that these individuals make a large contribution to our economy and it is likely in our best interest to allow them to participate, but we must control the border. It is foolish to believe that we can keep out terrorists if we can't keep out simple farm workers. Mexican President Vicente Fox's request that the status of these worker be regularized now seems prophetic.

The database generated by such cards would be a valuable tool for law enforcement and intelligence agencies. For most American this data already exists, but it is decentralized and takes time to process. A national identification card could be used to organize this data in a manner in which it could be used rapidly. People opposed to a national identification card are correct in believing that such a database could potentially pose a threat to our privacy and other rights protected by the Constitution. Thus, it is important that access to the database be limited by appropriate safeguards to protect these rights.

The events of Sept. 11 mean that the amount of surveillance of airports and other such public places will increase. Employers and law enforcement officers will also be more careful. Unfortunately, there will be a disparate impact on some Americans because many people will make judgements on characteristics such as race or ethnic origin rather than the character of a particular individual. Thus, for many Americans who are likely to be stigmatized because of their ethnic origins, the possession of a valid identification card will be a valuable protection. Since the card can be linked to a database, it would eliminate the need to profile. A security score can be generated on more precise data without the use of such broad categories as race or ethic origin.

Some people find the idea of having to produce an identification card oppressive. From personal experience, I find it much less oppressive to show an identification card than to be at the mercy of the discretion of a young, inexperienced or prejudiced border guard or police officer.

Brito is a professor of political economy in the Department of Economics at Rice University.