Democracy is our enemy

Thomas Leavitt thomasleavitt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 25 00:52:07 PDT 2001

Thank you for replying.

Yes, the ignorance of our representatives is sometimes frightening - I think
a remedial course in civics, American history, and basic constitutional law
should be mandatory for all elected officials at every level... and yet, the
system as a whole continues to function, at some level, and I can't say I'd
prefer to live anywhere else.

There is a element that folks like the gentleman you respond to below ,have
which reminds me of the more arrogant and self-righteous of the folks who
surrounded me in college: "The system is bad, straight through, therefore we
must tear it down completely, and rebuild it."

They want a nice clean tabula rasa, nothing so dirty and complicated as an
actual system inhabited by real live human beings who refuse to behave in
the way they should. And they are focused on destroying the "bad" system,
with very little idea of what would be erected in it's place, much less any
thought as to what messy process might have to be gone through to come up
with a new one that is acceptable to the people made to inhabit it.

As for condemning democracy to the "dustbin of history", well we know what
happened the last time someone did this:

Dustbin of History, the

A handy phrase made famous by Leon Trotsky. The Second Congress of Soviets
was being held in Petrograd when news of Bolshevik seizure of power was
announced on 25 October (7 November, New Style) 1917. With this decisive
turn of events, the Mensheviks and other left groups decided not to
participate in the Congress, and as they were leaving the room where the
Congress was being held, Trotsky taunted them by proclaiming -- truthfully,
as it turned out -- that they were well on their way into the dustbin of
history.

http://www.voiceoftheturtle.org/dictionary/dict_d1.shtml#dustbin

Personally, I'd rather avoid a repetition of the resulting socio-historical
disaster.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

--
Thomas Leavitt -- thomasleavitt at hotmail.com; ICQ #16455919
http://www.internetmanifesto.org/

Wired since 1981. Internet enabled since 1990. Web enabled since 1993.