Expectation of privacy in public?

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Mon Sep 24 15:09:09 PDT 2001

Under the California statute, a conversation in which the parties have no
expectation that the discussion would not be disclosed to others is not
confidential. Cal. Penal Code. Sect.632(a). "Confidentiality" has been
construed in California to mean "a reasonable expectation that the content
of the communication has been entrusted privately to the listener." Deteresa
v. American Braodcasting Co. 121 F.3d 460, 464 (9th Cir. 1997, cert. denied,
118 S. Ct. 1840 (1998).

Oral Communication under Title I (of "Title III" or the ECPA) incorporates
the Katz test. The Katz test is two-pronged: (1) the person challenging must
exhibit an expectation of privacy [subjective] and (2) that person must also
be justified in that expectation [objective]. If both prongs are not met,
the conversation is not protected under the constitution against warrantless
surveillance.

Senate Report 1097: neither the speakers intention to talk in confidence nor
the location of where the conversation happened controls the determination
of whether or not he reasonably expected he could not or would not be
overheard. The factors that might be considered in regard to the first prong
are: precautions taken, content, purpose, etc. Therefore, words a person
knowingly "puts to the public," possibly even in your home, can be outside
of the Fourth Amendment and Title III. However, it's a very contextual
determination.

Often, the courts use the rationale that because you have no reason to
believe your conversation is not being overheard, you have no reason to
believe you are not being recorded. See In re Johen Doe Trader No. One, 894
F.2d 240, 243 (7th Cir. 1990)(recording on floor of commodities exchange).
They could also make the analogy to a visitor of a bugged house, such as
United States v. Flemmi, 225 F.3d 78 (1st Cir. 2000). However, the mere fact
that the conversation is on government premises does not affect an
expectation of privacy. United States v. Jackson, 588 F.2d 1046, 1052 (5th
Cir. 1979)....and a bunch more after that.

Blah, blah, more than you wanted to know.

~Aimee