ID cards+law history;

Xeni Jardin xeni at xeni.net
Sun Sep 23 22:08:24 PDT 2001

> I fear it is naive to
> imagine that case law and legal precedent can combat the
> legislative onslaught to come.

All bets are definitely off. IANAL, but what seems most relevant to the
discussion of "national ID cards" from the earlier 1983 decision was the
court's affirmation that citizens shouldn't be subject to arrest for not
displaying ID to law enforcement on demand. As far as I can see, the
judgement doesn't restrict whether or not a law enforcement officer can
*ask* for ID, just says that a citizen shouldn't be presumed guilty of
some crime for not displaying it.

During los anos Clinton, there was some talk of implementing a national ID
card system as part of his healthcare proposal, if memory serves -- and
that idea tanked. Offhand, I'm not aware of other instances in US history
when a national ID card system has been proposed + debated in the name of
national security... surely this must have come up before at some point...

XJ