Op-ed on encryption: Privacy is no longer an argument

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sun Sep 23 13:31:44 PDT 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Bill Stewart wrote:

> At 03:10 PM 09/23/2001 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:

> >I think driving through my house qualifies as 'probable cause' to search
> >his house IF there is evidence or a clear line of reasoning that it
> >couldn't be done alone...
>
> Well, of course.
> But the analogy here was comparing house keys to crypto,

Same damn thing. Your point is moot.

Your comparison is thus...if I drive a car then I should have my house
searched because I might(!) drive through your house. That isn't
compatible with the 4th. That is what the crypto argument breaks down to.
Not that I have done it or will do it. But that you can't search my house,
irrespective of whether I did or didn't drive through yours; and you want
to search my house.

The point is to gain the opportunity for unrestrained entry to others
property and activities.

Explain how searching my house keeps me from still driving my car into
yours? It doesn't.

         Kill them all, take their land, and go there for vacation.

                                         Rage Against The Machine

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com