Op-ed on encryption: Privacy is no longer an argument

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Sep 23 12:16:56 PDT 2001

At 01:01 AM 09/21/2001 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
>Speaking of ringing hollow...
>How does having keys to my house keep somebody from throwing a fire bomb
>on it, or driving a car through it?
>
>It don't. It's a bait and switch.
>After it's burned down or a big hole in its side a key is rather
>redundent.

It is bait and switch, but the argument is that if the
cops have keys to the house of the guy who drove the car into yours,
they can go see if he's got any co-conspirators and arrest them,
so the risk of getting caught is a deterrent to wouldbe co-conspirators
in future wouldbe crimes, and meanwhile it lets the cops look good
by catching the guys who helped do it.

It's interesting to me that this looks like Ashcroft was
somewhat on our side back when he was in the Senate,
though of course that doesn't mean he'll stay that way as AG.