What might have happened on Sept. 11...

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 23 11:04:14 PDT 2001

At 09:15 PM 9/22/01 +0100, Zombywuf wrote:
>Fuck it, why not make everyone carry explosives so they can blow
>themselves and everyone in the vicinity away if there's a crime going on
nearby.

Congratulations, you just discovered the "Range Safety Officer" who
gets to press the button when a rocket goes astray.

Problem with putting this on a plane (I realize this is not what
you proposed tongue-in-cheek or not) include
* malicious spoofing of the destruct signal by folks on the ground
* jamming the destruct signal so you get to keep flying the cruise missile
* real, but unnecessary, FAA/NORAD destruct signals, e.g., machine or
personnel failure

(Shades of giving cops the ability to stall a car to prevent chases..)