CDR Anonymizer <cpunks_anon at einstein.ssz.com> ?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 22 23:44:12 PDT 2001

on Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 08:32:46PM -0700, CDR Anonymizer
(cpunks_anon at einstein.ssz.com) wrote:
> The cypherpunks list received yet another copy of the
> "Nigerian Corrupt Official's Bank Account" scam spam.
> No surprise, though lne.com's filters usually block them.
> The interesting thing was that this claims to be sent by the
>          CDR Anonymizer <cpunks_anon at einstein.ssz.com>

FYI, info on the scam.  This is the tenth instance I've seen this year.

Please feel free to distribute the following if you encounter the scam
on other NGs or mailing lists.

I've compiled a set of rants (frequently repeated essays/posts) at

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/rant-o-matic.tar.gz

This is an example of the "Nigerian Scam", also called 419 Letters, or
just plain 419.  Most 419 letters and emails originate from or are
traceable back to Nigeria. However, some originate from other nations,
mostly also West African nations such as Ghana, Togo, Liberia, Sierra
Leone, Ivory Coast ( Cote D'Ivoire ) etc.

It's the current wrinkle of a decades-old scam that nets tens of
millions of dollars per year, and may be the third largest industry in
Nigeria.  The 419 Coalition believes that it is the elites from which
successive governments of Nigeria have been drawn who are the scammers.
Expect little cooperation from Nigerian authorities.

Information in this notice is compiled from various sources, links
below.  Keep reading for reporting information.

The Scam operates as follows: the target receives an unsolicited fax,
email, or letter concerning Nigeria containing either a money laundering
or other illegal proposal OR you may receive a Legal and Legitimate
business proposal by normal means.  Invariably, the proposition involves
resources which are somehow locked up:  oil or other invoice problems, a
bequest, money cleaning, or misallocated funds.

At some point, the victim is asked to pay up front an Advance Fee of
some sort.  If the victim pays the Fee, there are many "Complications"
which require still more advance payments until the victim either quits,
runs out of money, or both.

To report the scam:

    If you are a United States Citizen or Resident and have suffered NO
    Financial Loss, write "No Financial Loss - For Your Database" on the
    documents you received and Fax them to the US Secret Service Task
    Force handling Scam matters at 202-406-6930.

    Documents may be emailed to

        mailto:419.fcd at usss.treas.gov?subject: "No Loss -- 419 Scam"

    IF you are a United States Citizen or Resident and YOU HAVE SUFFERED
    A FINANCIAL LOSS write "Financial Loss - Contact Me ASAP" on the
    documents you have received and Fax them to the Task Force at
    202-406-6930 and give Your telephone number(s).  A Secret Service
    Agent will call you back as soon as possible to discuss the matter
    with you (don't worry, you're Not in any trouble).

    (Above from http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/index.htm)

Other countries have their own reporting methods, see above for more
info.

Additional information:

    Google search:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=nigeria+scam

    Federal Republic of Nigeria, Embassy:
    http://www.embassy.org/embassies/ng.html

    Sierra Leone:  Nigerian 419 Scam:
    http://www.sierra-leone.org/scams.html

	Sample letters are archives as no's 01 - 33:
	http://www.sierra-leone.org/scam01.html -
	http://www.sierra-leone.org/scam33.html

    Nigeria Scam Letter Archive
    http://www.scamorama.com/

    Nigeria - The 419 Coalition Website
    http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/index.htm

    U.S. Postal Authorities crack down on Nigerian Spam
    http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/pressrel.htm

    Nigeria - The 419 Coalition Website
    http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/index.htm

    Urban Legends:  Nigerian Scam
    http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/scams/nigeria.htm

    Salon: I crave your distinguished indulgence (and all your cash)
    http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2001/08/07/419scams/print.html

    Nigerian 419 Scam "Game Over!"
    http://home.pacbell.net/jpaladin/
    Book describes how the scam plays out.

Thank you.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]