Preparedness (ultralight attack on statue of liberty)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 22 13:02:36 PDT 2001

on Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 08:08:06AM -0700, David Honig (honig at sprynet.com)
wrote:
> At 09:45 PM 9/21/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
> >Any attack with VX or similar nerve gas would kill tens of thousands
> >fairly quickly. Gas masks of no use, due to lack of coverage of all
> >exposed skin, and leakage. Gas masks mainly useful for mustard gas, that
> >sort of thing.
>
> Leakage yes, but I think a lot of people get sick or die (eg in a
> subway attack) because of inhaling the gas phase.  Of course if you
> touch the liquid you're toast.  I'd think an alkali decontaminizing
> layer in the filter would help with the nerve agents.

You fail to understand.

Nerve gas is absorbed through the skin.  A containment suit is required,
a gas mask, alkali or otherwise, is worthless of itself.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]