PGP author under fire for terrorist use of crypto

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 21 11:41:14 PDT 2001

On Friday, September 21, 2001, at 10:12 AM, Matthew Gaylor wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:57:18 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Craig Phillips <craig at benden.net>
> To: Matthew Gaylor <freematt at coil.com>
> Subject: PGP author under fire for terrorist use of crypto
>
> Matt:
>
> Don't know if this is of interest or not.  It appears that Phil
> Zimmermann
> is taking heat directly over the whole crypto - terrorist thing.
>
> Details at:
>
> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1234-2001Sep20.html>
>
> Regards

www.blissninnytimes.com/headlines:

"A descendant of the inventor of the "Venetian blind" window covering
has expressed shock, sorrow, and regret for the evil deeds of his
great-grandfather. He says he cries every day as he thinks about the
misdeed that the curtain industry has made possible.

Harvey Wimpelbert, heir to the Venetian Blind Company fortune, has
apologized to the world for his family's involvement in helping
terrorists, pornographers, and other criminals  to "hide behind the
curtains my family helped foist upon the world."

"I support the government's demands that curtains be banned so that the
legitimate needs of law enforcement may be met. Everyday I cry for
several hours over the horrors that are being committed out of the view
of our noble policemen," he sobbed.

"People who place curtains or blinds over their windows obviously have
something to hide," said Homeless Defense   Minister Ridge.