Avoid hard targets tomorrow

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 21 09:28:49 PDT 2001

On Friday, September 21, 2001, at 09:02 AM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> I think I may take a brief away-from-DC trip...
>
> >From the London TImes
> >
> >THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 20 2001
> >
> >Weekend alert as FBI warns of new attack
> >
> >BY DOMINIC KENNEDY AND DAMIAN WHITWORTH
> >
> >AMERICA and the West are bracing themselves for another potential
> >"Day of Infamy" this Saturday, when accomplices of the hijackers are
> >suspected of having plotted new outrages.

If the growing street protests/riots in Pakistan (Pesawar, Karachi,
Islamabad) trend toward a new ultra-Islamic, pro-Taliban government, I
expect India to strike first. India cannot allow a nuclear state on its
border with Taliban leanings. India will knock out Pakistan's nuclear
capabilities if it can.

A nuclear war between India and Pakistan will utterly dwarf recent
events, will crash the Dow to 1000, and will have other profound
consequences.

Interestingly, there's been a run on potassium iodide capsules, gas
masks, and guns. It may be that nothing happens, of course, but it shows
what happens when people wait until the stampede starts to shop for
supplies.

(Yes, I still have my KI tablets, my other supplies. I never got a real
gas mask, for fairly obvious reasons. The best defense is to avoid
crowded areas. And at the slightest sign (on CNN, etc.) that people are
showing up at hospitals in more-than-normal numbers, to stay indoors and
not mingle with vectors. Good sources are Ken Alibek's "Biohazard,"
Laurie Garrett's "The Coming Plague," and Judith Miller's new "Germs.")

--Tim May