Op-ed on encryption: Privacy is no longer an argument

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Thu Sep 20 23:01:04 PDT 2001

Speaking of ringing hollow...

How does having keys to my house keep somebody from throwing a fire bomb
on it, or driving a car through it?

It don't. It's a bait and switch.

After it's burned down or a big hole in its side a key is rather
redundent.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/21/0450203
>
>    Crypto Op-Ed: Privacy No Longer an Argument
>    posted by admin on Thursday September 20, @11:39PM
>
>    M. W. Guzy has a provocative and not entirely coherent essay
>    in Wednesday's St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Excerpt: "(Then-Senator
>    John) Ashcroft wrote that mandating deciphering tools was tantamount
>    to requiring 'individuals to surrender the keys to their house... to
>    the FBI just in case they are someday suspected of breaking the law.'
>    Somehow, that argument rings a little hollow when viewed through the
>    smoldering ruins of the World Trade Center

         Kill them all, take their land, and go there for vacation.

                                         Rage Against The Machine

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com