Feds are talking out both sides of their asses

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Sep 20 15:42:56 PDT 2001

As usual. See:

Feds complain Bin Laden not using hi-tech equipment
By Kieren McCarthy
Osama Bin Laden is evading detection by not using modern telecoms
equipment, the US intelligence services have told the press. "He switched
off a lot of communications technologies," a US intelligence spokesman
said. "Now it is other people talking for him. In an innocuous
conversation, you can't pick that out."
Osama is so cunning, we are told, that he is now using human messengers
and family members to deliver instructions. "This isn't low-tech," a
former NSA consultant has been quoted as saying. "You'd have to really
call it no-tech."

... snip ...

Only last week, we were being told that increased surveillance - taps on
all ISPs and a backdoor in encryption systems - was the only way to stop
people like this. Now, seven days later, when hundreds of special forces
personnel are crawling around Afghanistan looking for the man, we're told
that all this technology and the billions spent on it are obsolete because
he's turned his phone off. That we are blind as a mole.

... snip ...

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------