freedomforum.org: Freedom flees in terror from Sept. 11 disaster

Carlos Macedo Gomes gomes at navigo.com
Thu Sep 20 10:00:41 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Honig" <honig at sprynet.com>
To: "Jim Choate" <ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com>; <hell at EINSTEIN.ssz.com>;
<cypherpunks at EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 11:22 AM
Subject: CDR: Re: freedomforum.org: Freedom flees in terror from Sept. 11
disaster

> At 11:12 PM 9/19/01 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> >http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=14924
> >--
>
> "New York police and members of the National Guard
> confiscated film from journalists and tourists."
>
> I haven't heard of this (except of video of palestinians
> partying in palestine).  Any other reports of blatant
> domestic censorship?

Walter Cronkite was on CBS Early Morning today and spoke about the need for
a "censorship" forum where representatives from the military, journalists,
historians, the private sector broadcasters, etc. would meet and review
information gotten from the front lines of the new conflict and control the
timelines for distribution of such information to ensure both national
security, security of troops, and preservation of history.   I've gotten an
email recently that he was speaking on the same topic on the west coast
yesterday.   I don't have much more information on this and welcome any
other input...

Cronkite is an advisor for MediaChannel.org which has the following section:
http://www.mediachannel.org/atissue/conflict/

Here's a text from Walter Cronkite on Feb 3, 2000 which appears to counter
his recent advocacies:
http://www.mediachannel.org/originals/cronkite.shtml
<snip>
I'm particularly excited about one aspect of the Media's Channel's work: its
encouragement to people inside the media to speak up-to speak out about
their own experiences. Corporate censorship is just as dangerous as
government censorship, you know, and self-censorship can be the most
insidious form of pulling punches. Pressures to go along, to get along, or
to place the needs of advertisers or companies above the public's need for
reliable information distort a free press and threaten democracy itself.
</snip>

ymmv,
C.G.

gomes at navigo.com