crypto law survey questions

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 06:55:56 PDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
I wonder what's going to be in the emergency anti-terrorism bill that
Bush will send Congress on Wed or Thurs. Maybe not crypto restrictions,
but the language will likely bear a close read.

-Declan

I wonder about enforcement as well.  Crypto was outlawed in WWII but I don't think too many people served time for using it.  It was also not very widespread.  Here you've got a popular technology who's suppreswsion nwill be more like Vice Squad work.  Synbolic crackdowns without a serious expectation of success.

Also crypto bans are meaningless without anonymity bans and anonymity bans haven't been too successful in court.  And even with court support, anonymity bans are even harder to enforce than crypto bans.

Also crypto bans are really *cypher* bans.  Codes are not covered.  Ubiquitous comms make code comms easier than ever.

"East Wind, Rain".

 DCF