Mandatory ID Cards

Meyer Wolfsheim wolf at priori.net
Wed Sep 19 13:33:08 PDT 2001

> MSNBC is reporting that Congress is thinking of requiring all citizens
> and non-citizens in the United States to carry ID cards.

We're already half-way there. With our photo-id driver's licenses, and
required identification before boarding airplanes, convenient travel and
lack of anonymity go hand in hand.

> It looks like the anti-privacy folks are going to do an end-run around
> the encryption issue, and first attack anonymity.  An interesting
> strategy, and one which we should not let go unchallenged.

This was my thought, to which I eluded in my last post the list. I don't
think crypto opponents could find ways to justify banning its use.
However, an anonymity crack-down is most certainly coming.

And be on the look-out for RIP-USA.

-MW-