Majority of Americans want anti-encryption laws, poll says

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 03:29:48 PDT 2001

Putting aside encryption for a moment, the real stand-outs in the
"Hotline" survey Declan posted  are the 54% who replied that they would
attack suspects even if they have no proof they did it, the 32% who
would "put Arabs and Arab-Americans under special surveillance" and the
astonishing 32% "very confident" and 42% "somewhat confident" that
"national and local law enforcement can stop terrorist plots".

I don't think that half the the people of the USA are militarist bigots
living in Cloud-Cuckoo Land, but if I did this wouldn't disabuse me.

Ken Brown