Code Red seems to be back.

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Sep 18 09:49:30 PDT 2001

Seems like Code Red or one of its little friends is back.

I think breaking up Microsoft is a bad idea,
but there are days it would be nice to have their
Web Server and Email Worm-Propagators run by companies
other than the operating system company just so fewer people
would be running that dangerous dreck.  :-)

Somebody did a paper about a hypothetical "Andy Warhol Virus",
studying how long it takes to take over a server,
how many servers you can attack per minute, and
what it would take to coordinate an attack that really hit everywhere.
15 minutes is about enough to hit most of the net,
if you find holes in Apache and IIS that don't need manual tweaking,
and if you don't alert people by scribbling their pages with
"Hacked by Chinese" or "Reformatted by bin Laden" before you're done.
Our chief weapons are surprise, exponential growth and
dividing up target address space effectively,
with quick checks to make sure you don't waste time on infected machines,
and, purely optionally, an almost fanatical analysis of hosting center configs.