How to ban crypto? (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Sep 17 16:10:45 PDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:37:41 -0700
From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart at pobox.com>
To: David Honig <honig at sprynet.com>
Cc: "Angelos D. Keromytis" <angelos at cs.columbia.edu>,
    Carl Ellison <cme at acm.org>, cryptography at wasabisystems.com,
    ukcrypto at chiark.greenend.org.uk, provos at citi.umich.edu
Subject: Re: How to ban crypto?

At 07:21 PM 09/16/2001 -0700, David Honig wrote:
>At 06:02 PM 9/16/01 -0400, Angelos D. Keromytis wrote:
> >Niels Provos (U. of Michigan) has a very interesting paper on detecting
> >steganography on the network (he talked about it during the USENIX Sec. WIP
> >session). Basically, he didn't find any steganography in about 2 million
>images
> >he tested on Ebay. He's working on doing the same for other mediums/sites.
>
>He did a positive control, right?

Obviously this means that the stego-mongers are sufficiently good :-)

It's not clear that EBay would be the right place to put stego,
though I suppose it's an interesting idea.
The popular method people discuss is Usenet porn spam;
another obvious approach is webcams, since they're
typically going to have pictures that aren't broadcast everywhere.