[havenco-discuss] Re: [Announce] HavenCo Sealand Remailer Online

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Mon Sep 17 09:50:57 PDT 2001

At 07:23 AM 9/17/2001 +0000, Ryan Lackey wrote:

>The only viable long-term solution I see for most of these things is
>charging per-transaction for messages.  Remailers are exactly the kind of
>application where "postage" could first be applied.  The problems seem
>twofold:
>
>1) Remailer operators are exposed to new and additional legal threat if they
>accept payment for service (right?)

"New and additional" might be too strong, but one of the elements of
contributory or vicarious copyright infringement is whether or not the
defendant profited from the direct infringement - and changing remailing
from an unpaid public service to an (apparently) for-profit business pretty
much concedes that point to the plaintiff.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"We have found and closed the thing you watch us with." -- New Delhi street kids