muddleheads

citizenq at hushmail.com citizenq at hushmail.com
Mon Sep 17 01:30:15 PDT 2001

>>> "maybe it shouldn't be done so fast."  But then you say the bill
>>> "will have to go to conference committee and then, probably, both
>>> chambers of Congress for another vote.."
>>
>> I raised few policy objections. Instead I laid out what the bill would
>> do.
>>
>> It sounds like you're what Tim would call a simp-wimp apologist for
>> using Carnivore without court orders who is actively trying to sabotage
>> privacy.

"nyah-na-nah-na-nyah-nyah.  I know you are but what am I?"
Come on let's grow up.

>Yep, "citizenQ" is one of the simp-wimps.He hides behind his Hushmail
>and Ziplip accounts, possibly using remailers fed into them, but then
>calls for regulating crypto and privacy.

Uh huh, yep, that's it fer sure, uh huh.

Idiots, there isn't a single place I call out for that.  I call for clear thinking of which there is so little.  I want good information and analysis, not kneejerk skyfalling pandering idiocy.  In your little book, if I criticize Declan I'm calling for regulating crypto.  Now that's rich.

My use of the this or that technology itself should tell you exactly that I don't support its regulation.  What I want is some really smart people to help keep the gov. from becoming more frightening than the terrorists, in the smartest possible way, and if you read my posts to Declan you'll see that.  Looks like this list is the wrong place.

The whole point is that his analysis is somewhat superficial with respect to the nature of the threats from the legislation, while at the same time he runs around blaring "Warrantless Carnivore" because it's all that fits into the cognitive scheme of the audience and he ignores the subtle context of the intent and the struggle that is going on in the hearts and minds of the grownups who are trying to come to terms with what to do.

To imagine that by bouncing the rubble (so to speak, sorry) of all the old arguments yadda yadda, we are going to have any effect on the current process, is naive and childish.  It's a new game, running in circles screaming and shouting is not going to win it -

So what is?  Well, we need more info on the cast of congresspeople and where they stand.  We need to objectively understand the ramifications of legislation like what's proposed, and it needs to be done to the mass audience and not to the tired Wireds.  We need advance notice of upcoming discussion in Congress.  We need to understand the minds of the people on both sides of the arguments in order to have effectiveness.  We need accurate unbiased reporting, identifying the critical battles.  We have to choose those battles in congress, because to keep chanting the same undifferentiated rhetoric will create or reinforce such a credibility gap that it will be easy to ignore the whole unruly mess.  Create come credibility, knowing the mind of those who do not share your views.

God you guys are smart - try to apply it now to good effect.

Now, are you clear that I am not your little pigeonholed vesion of what you think when you hear something besides your own regurgitated rhetoric?