On Internet and social responsibility

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Sep 16 21:22:24 PDT 2001

Jim, the First Amendment is a fine thing, but it's got very little
resemblence to twentieth-century US government practice :-)
Non-electronic speech and press gotten better treatment, mostly,
since we've gotten away from the days of the Schenk case,
but electronic speech has been heavily censored and controlled,
particularly under the Roosevelt-inspired monopoly over the airwaves.

But even the writers of that pro-central-government batch of
political compromise called the US Constitution appear to have
considered laws against fraud, slander, and libel to be reasonable
grounds for laws, and in some cases for duels.