SYMBOL

Jim Windle jim_windle at eudoramail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:02:31 PDT 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 15:42:57   Bill Stewart wrote:

>Donald Trump is a capitalist - if building his proposed
>kilometer-high New Trump Tower would have made sense without
>the subsidies he's been so good at talking New York into giving him,
>it'd probably be built by now.  It's not.

I agree completely that the real issue will be economics.  Though, as I remeber, like most Manhattanites I try to tune "the Donald" out when he started spouting, the issue wil Trumps proposal to build the world's tallest building in the old railroad yards he is developing on the West Side was not the economics of the building, which he thought worked, but rather his inability to get the necessary zoning approvals.

Another developer, Silvestein, had a 99 year lease on the WTC while the Port Authority continued to own the property.  Siverstien has already called for the site to be redeveloped, though what if any rights he enjoys to do so under the 99 year lease on now non-existent buildings I don't know.  As Trump seems at the moment at least to be syclically solvent I am sure he will make a high profile proposal to redevelop the site as well.

Jim Windle