Martial Law provisions

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Sep 16 19:17:27 PDT 2001

On Sunday, September 16, 2001, at 06:59 PM, Eric Cordian wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
>> I'm not saying parachutes will ever be banned. For one thing, no way
>> to.
>
> Recall that gas mask possession, sale, and transportation was
> criminalized
> in the city of Seattle during the "state of emergency" declared for the
> WTO festivities.
>
> This was during the time you couldn't open the window without pepper
> spray
> wafting in.
>
> Homework Exercise:  Could someone list all the "executive orders" signed
> by various Presidents that are now in effect because Bush declared a
> "National Emergency", along with what unconstitutional power they confer
> and to whom?

You might want to check Michael Froomkin's page. Several years ago he
did a paper on executive orders.

I could be wrong, but I believe he said some of the worst of the
suspensions established by Lincoln himself were technically still on the
books, including suspending habeas corpus (meaning, holding without
production of evidence or reason for holding).

--Tim May