SYMBOL

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Sep 16 09:00:58 PDT 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> As were buildings above 5 stories in ancient Rome.  Technology moves
> on. The question is not, "Can 250-story buildings be made safe?"  The
> only question is "How can they be made safe?"

The question is: why should we bother? Tall buildings have intrinsically
bad volume to crossection ratio, by definition. Both the static and the
infrastructure is vulnerable, so the efforts would be far better spent by
decentralizing the society. Monkeys want to see monkeys, fine. We have
video projectors and AR avatars for that, and last time I looked most of
the fiber was idle.