The Enemies List

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Sep 16 17:39:37 PDT 2001

    --
On 17 Sep 2001, at 0:03, chefren wrote:
> Problem is I'm against "absolute" anonymity, I think
> working on it is technically interesting but the result is
> nothing less than a-social and I'm not at all against
> democratic societies. It's easy to say so for me since I
> live in a pretty free country (The Netherlands) but as a
> whole when there is no war, we don't need anonymity as far
> as I see it.

The reason your country is pretty free is that when your
mother was sucking off German soldiers, US soldiers came and
gave you your freedom.

I guess it was not worth the effort.

> Anonymity like we have on the net now makes me think of the
> middle ages, when the cities started to come up. When you
> weren't a citizen you might not enter with weapons those
> day's. "Leave them at the entrance." Often it was even
> necessary to leave the city before the night... After some
> time (centuries) they came up with the "horrible idea" to
> give people identities that could be verified. They later
> evolved to "passports". So people from one city could
> operate in other cities and even countries, as long as your
> country more or less guaranteed your identity.

Passports were not required for travel in most places until
the early twentieth century.  Things really shut down when
the germans started infiltrating troops, and have not opened
up since.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     6Ccv99xSTQ49aSVy10p8b+XMoA6gBIWtQUg+prTQ
     4BSH1Vq6WUKYYIjUjTanlsN5sLnfpJDyiEjgfl3Dl