SYMBOL

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Sep 16 13:39:08 PDT 2001

    --
On 16 Sep 2001, at 12:16, John Young wrote:
> Yes, Sandy, how do you do that? Sincerely, I'm not being a
> wiseass. Some building types have disappeared over time due
> to understanding that they don't work any more. Glorious
> buildings that once were once seen as absolutely the best
> ever. Forts, for example. Gothic cathedrals that failed
> after exceeding the limits of stone construction.

Every time a Gothic cathedral fell down they learnt something
and built the next one bigger.  I do not think they stopped
building bigger because they reached the limits of stone, but
because of economic and cultural decline

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     DdEAPIPoUhVXgNtWu041aUfOE5P4ZXTAzBXJtwOn
     4fuxHq1EE+tFWtQcPMtXMxjwv9tPbEZWdUMCj4zi2