Compiling Mixmaster 2.9 beta under FreeBSD

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at post1.com
Sat Sep 15 08:41:06 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 03:17:42PM -0700, Greg Broiles wrote:
> Specifically, the OpenSSL that's integrated into FreeBSD doesn't include
> IDEA, by default, because of patent concerns. To remedy that, one needs to
> change the line in /etc/defaults/make.conf so that it reads "MAKE_IDEA=YES".
>
> Then - this is the part I missed before - it's necessary to recompile the
> system libraries, so that they're rebuilt with IDEA support included. It
> sounds simple in retrospect . . . go to /usr/src and run "make buildworld;
> make installworld", which may take 12 hours or so on a slow PC. There's got
> to be a better way to just rebuild the crypto parts, but I didn't stumble
> across it yet.

The OpenSSL bundled with FreeBSD is installed in /usr.

The simplest way to get a different OpenSSL (with IDEA, RC5, etc.) is to
build from source and install into /usr/local. Then, when configuring
Mixmaster or whatever software, specify that OpenSSL lives in /usr/local.

I last built Mix when it was still using rsaref, but I've used the above
method to build any number of OpenSSL-using software, including my own
M2Crypto. No need to remake the world.

Cheers.
--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at post1.com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps