Crypto-anonymity greases HUMINT intelligence flows

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Sep 15 22:52:05 PDT 2001

On Saturday, September 15, 2001, at 10:02 PM, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 11:52 PM 9/15/2001 -0400, Howie Goodell wrote:
>> The plot sickens.  I assume you saw the news reports today
>> that bin Ladin's associates did exactly that with the German
>> reinsurer who will bear the brunt of the WTC claims?
>
> You probably mean Frankfurt based Allianz AG.

Munich Re sounds more likely. Let me check the Web...

Yep, Munich Re was one of them:

"The stocks of the three reinsurance companies  AXA in France, Munich
Re in Germany and Swiss Re in Switzerland  dropped 13 percent to 15
percent in the week before the attack.
       Analysts suggested at the time that the drops were anomalous
unexplained  since the reinsurance business was healthy and premium
payments were on the way up. "

--Tim May