Harry Browne and Why America Needs to be Broken Up

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Sep 15 17:22:20 PDT 2001

On Saturday, September 15, 2001, at 02:07 PM, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:

> I fail to see any truly effective measures that can be taken to prevent
> determined attackers from committing acts of terrorism. The only course
> of
> action, I believe, is to eliminate their desire to commit these attacks.
>
> Harry Browne's essay[1] points out things we could have done to remove
> the
> (suspected) motivation for this (and other possible) political
> terroristic
> attacks. Tim May has made similar points.
> [1] http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html

Thanks very much for the reference to the Harry Browne essay...I endorse
every bit of it. (I first encountered Harry Browne in 1973 when I read
his book "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World." I had just voted for
John Hospers, the first Libertarian Party candidate the year earllier,
the first year the new LP ran a slate of candidates. This was back,
almost 30 years ago, when I still had a little bit of faith in the
process of voting and democracy.)

Not much I can add to Browne's essay except to point out that these
united states are made up of people trading, inventing, building, and
interacting. We refer to the "states," but even this gives too much
emphasis to the role of government. The "state" I have lived in for 35
years is the sixth or seventh largest economy in the world.

I ask you this: If California and New York and Texas and a dozen other
regions were independent, libertarian trading  regions, with no gunboats
sent to rescue ZOG occupiers in Palestine and no armies sent to Europe
to fight their war for them, and no police forces in Somalia, Bosnia,
Macedonia, Croatia, Korea, and a dozen other hellholes, WOULD THE ATTACK
HAVE OCCURRED?

It's time to decentralize. Since peaceful attempts have failed, maybe
other approaches need to be used.

--Tim May