Noam on WTC Collapse

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Sat Sep 15 15:53:13 PDT 2001

                               On the Bombings

                                Noam Chomsky

     The terrorist attacks were major atrocities. In scale they may not
     reach the level of many others, for example, Clinton's bombing of
     the Sudan with no credible pretext, destroying half its
     pharmaceutical supplies and killing unknown numbers of people (no
     one knows, because the US blocked an inquiry at the UN and no one
     cares to pursue it). Not to speak of much worse cases, which easily
     come to mind. But that this was a horrendous crime is not in doubt.
     The primary victims, as usual, were working people: janitors,
     secretaries, firemen, etc. It is likely to prove to be a crushing
     blow to Palestinians and other poor and oppressed people. It is
     also likely to lead to harsh security controls, with many possible
     ramifications for undermining civil liberties and internal freedom.

     The events reveal, dramatically, the foolishness of the project of
     "missile defense." As has been obvious all along, and pointed out
     repeatedly by strategic analysts, if anyone wants to cause immense
     damage in the US, including weapons of mass destruction, they are
     highly unlikely to launch a missile attack, thus guaranteeing their
     immediate destruction. There are innumerable easier ways that are
     basically unstoppable. But today's events will, very likely, be
     exploited to increase the pressure to develop these systems and put
     them into place. "Defense" is a thin cover for plans for
     militarization of space, and with good PR, even the flimsiest
     arguments will carry some weight among a frightened public.

     In short, the crime is a gift to the hard jingoist right, those who
     hope to use force to control their domains. That is even putting
     aside the likely US actions, and what they will trigger -- possibly
     more attacks like this one, or worse. The prospects ahead are even
     more ominous than they appeared to be before the latest atrocities.

     As to how to react, we have a choice. We can express justified
     horror; we can seek to understand what may have led to the crimes,
     which means making an effort to enter the minds of the likely
     perpetrators. If we choose the latter course, we can do no better,
     I think, than to listen to the words of Robert Fisk, whose direct
     knowledge and insight into affairs of the region is unmatched after
     many years of distinguished reporting. Describing "The wickedness
     and awesome cruelty of a crushed and humiliated people," he writes
     that "this is not the war of democracy versus terror that the world
     will be asked to believe in the coming days. It is also about
     American missiles smashing into Palestinian homes and US
     helicopters firing missiles into a Lebanese ambulance in 1996 and
     American shells crashing into a village called Qana and about a
     Lebanese militia  paid and uniformed by America's Israeli ally
     hacking and raping and murdering their way through refugee camps."
     And much more. Again, we have a choice: we may try to understand,
     or refuse to do so, contributing to the likelihood that much worse
     lies ahead.

     Noam Chomsky

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+