Crypto-anonymity greases HUMINT intelligence flows

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sat Sep 15 13:03:20 PDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Jim Choate wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:
> >
> > > Have there ever been any large-scale terroristic attacks where profit was
> > > the only motive?
> >
> > terrorism <> economics. Economics as a direct goal isn't the issue in
> > terrorism. You're 'mixing your metaphors'...
>
> No, Jim, I am not.
>
> If one were to commit an act of destruction, in order to manipulate
> economic markets with the ensuing public fear or outrage, that would be
> terrorism with economics as a direct goal.
>
> You're thinking too narrowly.

Not at all, That's only one example. Unfortunately it isn't sufficient for
your point, the economics weren't the PRIMARY goal as your stipulation
requires. Primary mechanism <> primary goal.

Further, to be absolutely accurate, your commentary 'begs the question'.

A bank robber is not a terrorist.

A terrorist may be a bank robber (as many have been, eg. SLA).

It's not I who is not thinking broadly enough.

             Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

                                        George Santyana

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com