Crypto-anonymity greases HUMINT intelligence flows

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 15 13:31:04 PDT 2001

Incognito Innominatus wrote:

> Sandy Sandfort wrote:
> > Nonsense.  Targeting innocents is evil according to EVERY human culture.
> > The fact that people do it, does not make it "relative."  It
> just makes them
> > evil.  Period.
>
> Not according to Tim May.  He was the one who wrote that he was becoming
> convinced that Tim McVeigh had done the right thing.  "Some innocents
> died, but hey, war is hell.  Broken eggs and all that."  Those are his
> exact words, May 9, 1997.  He's also the one that has called for the
> burning of millions of innocents by nuclear fire.
>
> If targeting innocents is evil, what can we say about those who applaud
> such actions?  Doesn't Tim May, by his own words, show himself to be
> evil by the standards of every civilized human culture?

Apples and oranges.  There is a world of difference between targeting
innocents (the focus of my post) and targeting military targets with
resultant innocent casualties.  If a gunman grabs a human shield and starts
shooting at me, I will (regrettably) return fire.  Hopefully, I'll hit the
bad guy and not the innocent human shield, but if I do hit the hostage, the
moral responsibility is on bad guy, not me.

 S a n d y