Those who give up liberty in favor of security deserve neither

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Sep 15 11:23:19 PDT 2001

On Saturday, September 15, 2001, at 10:35 AM, citizenQ
<citizenQ at ziplip.com wrote:

> You missed the irony, I guess I should have put in the irony-smiley.
>
> Given the overall context of the bill, the debate on the floor, and
> it's conclusion your report is shrill and Chicken-littleish, which does
> nothing for creating credible support of resistance to eroding civil
> liberty. Do your job, support your position, and do it clearly.  Right
> now I have no patience for Wired-generation smugness.

This is not a "Wired-generation" issue. This issue was one Ben Franklin,
Thomas Jefferson, and the other Founders were worried about.

In fact, there is no chance for public debate on this express train. New
laws are being passed by voice vote, at midnight. Some Congressmen have
admitted they have no idea what they are voting to approve, only that it
has something to do with fighting terrorism.

This is the Clipper/ITAR/CDA battle compressed into a week, instead of
years. And there is no debate, no dissent.

You are welcome to give up _your_ civil liberties, but anyone trying to
take mine away has earned killing, by any means necessary.

Funny, I notice how many of the critics of Cypherpunks and supporters of
this express train approach to repealing the Bill of Rights are
themselves hiding behind Cypherpunks remailers, Hushmail aliases, and
Ziplip nyms.

--Tim May