MARTIAL LAW Cypherpunks and terrorism

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sat Sep 15 08:37:05 PDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

>     --
> On 14 Sep 2001, at 10:57, !Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:
> > James - I find your statements incredible.  America is
> > being attacked for being rich and free?  I don't think so
> >
> > If these people are arabs - and i still don't have any
> > proof of that - then we can assume they blew up the WTC in
> > protest of americas support of terror and antidemocratic
> > institutions - i.e. the palestinian israel problems.
>
> Those terrorists origins that have been reported so far come
> from parts of the arab world that are very far away from
> Israel -- and also far away from the oil.

Which is an irrelevant point for both of your positions. The conflict is
one of fundamental belief and past actions. It crosses national
boundaries. To say (as James is implying) that Pakistani's don't talk to
both Afghani's and say Syria is simply irresponsible, as well as wrong.

> > Don't forget James - if in fact Bin Landen is involved in
> > this then the facts remain that the US Government sponsored
> > and assisted him during the Russian occupation of
> > afganistan.
>
> No the US government did not, though it surely would have had
> he showed any concern about Afghanistan earlier.

He did, he fought during the Russian invasion (I've sent a URL to a
reference seperately). It's almost certain he at some point used US
supplied arms.

> Bin Laden hates freedom,

No, he just uses a different incompatible definition than you. For example
one of his complaints is that he is not given the freedom to move the
godless (eg US forces) out of the holy lands of Syria (eg Mecca and
Medina).

One solution, only send Muslim US service men. You got any idea how much
good will something like that would buy?...Priceless

            natsugusa ya...tsuwamonodomo ga...yume no ato
            summer grass...those mighty warriors'...dream-tracks

                                            Matsuo Basho

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com