How to win the new war

Howie Goodell goodell at mediaone.net
Fri Sep 14 12:32:27 PDT 2001

Greg Broiles wrote:

> At 01:44 PM 9/14/2001 -0400, Howie Goodell wrote:
>
> >These smart cards don't need to be connectable to your
> >identity; just your body and a responsible party's
> >signature.  American Airlines and Lloyds put $1B behind my
> >biometrics being one of an authorised class of pilots or
> >plane cleaners.  Who I am isn't necessary.
>
> No, but what's going to sound more comforting to worshippers at the temple
> of the power trip:
>
> 1.      Credentials without privacy violation, which chart a careful course
> between the risks of overidentification and the risks of
> overauthorization/overpermissiveness, a la Chaum -
>
> or
>
> 2.      A big centralized database/control center, where serious-looking
> men with guns and uniforms will sit in swivel chairs and look at computer
> screens 24x7, using zoom lenses and database queries to inspect every
> movement or deviation from what's considered normal?

The point we need to make is that you can be far *safer*
with Chaumian anonymous credentials etc.  How long would it
take to persuade people to have their biometrics checked and
compared with a central server and recorded forever -- even
this week?  The key point is to rely on a digital
signature.  The rest is incremental.

Howie Goodell

--
Howie Goodell  hgoodell at cs.uml.edu  Pr SW Eng, WearLogic
Sc.D. Cand  HCI Res Grp  CS Dept  U Massachussets Lowell